Check-Direct CPE for BD MAXTM
Easy automated confirmation of CPE with the BD MAXTM
Covers the clinically most prevalent carbapenemases - KPC, OXA-48, VIM and NDM - including the emerging OXA-181 variant.
- Confirm CPE in routine suspected isolates: detect KPC, OXA-48, VIM and NDM, including OXA-181
- Identify the carbapenemase type: receive extra information for infection control and epidemiology
- Pre-aliquoted dried-down reagents ensure a fast and simple testing procedure - just snap in and start
Check-Direct CPE for BD MAX reduces hands-on processing time, and additionally discriminates VIM and NDM strains
- Carbapenemase target genes*
KPC, OXA-48, VIM, NDM
- Sample preparation, Amplification and Detection
BD MAXTM System
- Controls included
Sample Processing Control (SPC)
- Analytical reactivity
• 19 different strains of KPC
• 25 different strains of OXA-48
• 17 different strains of NDM
• 34 different strains of VIM
- Analytical specificity
No positive results when tested against 132 non-carbapenemase producers
*KPC-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25; OXA-48, 48b, 162, 163, 181, 204, 232, 244, 245, 370; VIM-1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47; NDM-1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16.
- Prepare a 0.5-1.0 McFarland bacterial cell suspension using saline
- Add 10 μl cell suspension and 500 μl PCR-grade water to a Sample Buffer Tube
- Vortex 10 seconds
BD MAXTM rack setup
- Position 1:DNA extraction BD Exk-1 Reagent tube (white seal)
- Position 2: DNA MMK Master Mix tube (green/yellow seal)
- Position 3: CPE reagent tube (purple seal)
Proceed with the BD MAXTM instrument setup, as specified in the user manual.
Please refer to the full protocol in the user manual when performing this assay.
Confirm CPE in routine suspected isolates
Check-Direct CPE for BD MAXTM is performed on culture specimens.
Detect carbapenemases, including OXA-181
Detect the most clinically prevalent carbapenemases, including emerging variants such as OXA-181. Information on the type of carbapenemase present – KPC, OXA-48-like, VIM and NDM – yields extra information for epidemiology.
Just snap in and start
Pre-aliquoted dried-down reagents ensure a fast and simple testing procedure – just snap in and start.
Learn more about the technology behind our Check-Direct multiplex real-time PCR assays here
- Wohlwend N, Pires J, Droz S, Endimiani A, Risch L, Risch M, Bodmer T. Rapid screening for ESBL and carbapenemase genes by real-time PCR using the check-direct on the BD MAX™ open mode platform. Presented at: 25th ECCMID, 25-28 April 2015, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Williams A, Vanstone G, Balakrishnan I. Direct Detection of carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae and Pseudomonas spp. from positive blood cultures. Presented at: BSAC Spring Meeting; 2014 March 20; London, UK.
- Bullivant J, Smedley C, Davies S, Davis S, Parsons H. Comparison of Check-Point PCR to Multi-Resistant Gram Negative Screening Media for the detection of Carbapenemase Producing Enterobacteriaceae. Presented at: HIS & IPS Spring Meeting; 2014 April 8; Birmingham, UK.
- Findlay J, Hopkins KL, Meunier D, Woodford N. Evaluation of three commercial assays for rapid detection of genes encoding clinically relevant carbapenemases in cultured bacteria. J Antimicrob Chemother. Published online ahead of print 2015 Jan 27.
For countries outside of the United States (as of 1 August 2016):
For the Netherlands (as of 1 April 2018):
|BD Catalog Number||Description|
|278101||Check-Direct CPE for BD MAXTM kit, 24 reactions|
Please note that the following reagents and consumables are to be purchased from your local BD representative:
- BD MAX ExKTM DNA-1 Extraction kit (Ref:442818)
- BD MAX DNA MMK Master Mix (Ref: 442848)
- BD MAX PCR Cartridges (Ref: 437519)
Other Check-Points solutions
EU: For in vitro Diagnostic Use.
US: For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.
BD MAXTM is a trademark of Becton, Dickinson and Company. This product is sold under license from PHRI Properties patent right only for human in vitro diagnostics, food testing, veterinary testing, or research.